Monday, February 6, 2012

McCafe: Like Starbucks, for people with kids.

My kids and I spent the second half of the big game at a clean (ish), quiet McDonald’s play area. They were bored and I was bored and Jeremy was just trying to watch the game. We didn’t care anything about the game, so we found some place else to be.

They ran around and crawled in and out of the tunnels, played various make-believe games that Logan made up and Brodie broke all the rules to. They were loud and crazy and no one told them to be quiet. They took turns coming over and taking bites from the sundaes we bought, dirty hands and ice cream covered faces. I nibbled on an apple pie, drank a cup of coffee and finished reading a book. We spent a little over 6 dollars, including the sundae we brought home for Jeremy.  No one knew the score. No one knew how the quarterback looked. No one was yelling at them to move from out in front of the TV. They got to be kids and I got to watch.

It was the perfect way to spend Super Bowl Sunday.

McDonald’s is still McDonald’s. They still have chicken nuggets and french fries. The people behind the counter are still young, in ugly uniforms, learning to fine tune their customer service skills. The play area still smells like a mixture of disinfectant and dirty socks. But there was free Wi-fi, a couple of people sitting at laptops or over paper work and a big screen TV for the parents that didn’t think to bring a book.

I remember reading press releases a few years ago when McDonald’s did their McCafe make-over. I remember reading that they wanted to be in competition with Starbucks. I remember thinking that they were delusional. McDonald’s and Starbucks were NEVER going to be in the same category. How could these people under the Golden Arches think that putting in an espresso machine and adding a few fu-fu drinks to their menu was going to put them in the same category? It doesn’t. At all. Then again, I can’t take my kids to Starbucks. I mean, they go through the drive-thru with me. They even get their own hot chocolate in these too cute for words, miniature Starbucks cups with card board sleeves and everything. Starbucks is a big deal for them…from the backseat. I would NEVER take Brodie inside of Starbucks for longer than 2 minutes. He would have every coffee cup broken, every tea press shattered and every bag of coffee inhaled through his nostrils. The comfy chairs and calming music will do me no good if I have to take a Xanax just to make it through a cup of coffee.

 And I know, for sure, I would get no reading done.

But, at McDonald’s, there was nothing to break. Nothing for him to shatter. Nothing for him to inhale. Just tunnels and slides and make-believe. The coffee was good and the Wi-fi was just as fast. When I finished my book, I even downloaded a new one to my Nook. It might not be as cool, it might not be as trendy, and it’s damn sure not as expensive, but I like what McDonald’s has done with the place.

I’m thinking I should write to them and pitch them a new slogan.

McCafe.
It’s like Starbucks, for people with kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment