Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's not poetry, it's too much Alanis Morissette

It’s probably nice in the light of day
It’s probably sweet to sleep with the sun on your skin
It’s probably not giving you cancer
Hope you don’t get too much color
I’ll be here in the shade

It’s too bad the visiting hours are changing
It’s too bad the doctor is out for the night
It’s too bad I’m still addicted to the medication
Hope you enjoy your recovery and chips
I’ll be here with the monkey

I’m grateful we did Dresden and Munich
I’m grateful for another summer abroad
I’m grateful you took lots of pictures to remember
Hope the jetlag isn’t too rough
I’ll be here polishing souvenirs  

It was nice to pick up trash in dresses
It was nice to hear the piano man
It was nice to dance on the edge of glory
Hope the music still fills the background
I’ll be here with headphones on

It’s strange not calling the shots
It’s strange picking up the pieces
It’s strange being the one who is silenced
Hope you’ve taught me well enough
I’ll be here whispering quietly

Thank you for playing on my weaknesses
Thank you for pointing out my flaws
Thank you for letting me fictionalize my world awhile
Hope you enjoy your ribbon
I’ll be here trying to learn the lesson

I’m glad I could put a bandage on your wound
I’m glad I could be adored for the pieces you choose to remember
I’m glad I could pretend to save you from drowning
Hope you didn’t get too much water in your nose
I’ll be here practicing CPR

It’s good I could keep you company in your misery
It’s good you’re healthy for real, this time
It’s good you won’t be lonely anymore
Hope you had a nice trip down memory lane
I’ll be here

No comments:

Post a Comment